Saturday, June 20, 2009

Atlanta to the DC Area

I got on the road Friday night around 10pm (Lehr: if you're reading, it's because Wal Mart took me nearly an hour!). Thanks to a tip from a friend, I stopped in the Welcome Center after every state line to snap a photo of the "Welcome to...". Check out my album of pictures so far.

Cross Country 2009


I may have entered the cheap hall of fame with this one, but I didn't want to shell out for a hotel room. When I got too tired last night, I pulled off at a rest stop, locked the doors, opened the window, and snoozed. Very refreshing!

So now I present my Top 10 Reasons to Drive Through the Night
  1. Cankles are sexy. My ankles currently make any pregnant woman's ankles look svelte. This also happened when I flew to Turkey -- I think it's the upright for many hours thing.
  2. At 2am, 5 Hour Energy just doesn't work. I drank half of one then slept for an hour! Is that a caffeine nap?
  3. North Carolina sunrises are supreme. Thanks, Zenovia for ordering it up for me.
  4. You can't tell that the Jeep's A/C is broken.
  5. Mid-day Washington DC traffic -- time it right and you get there just in time to become thoroughly lost on Malcom X Blvd in Capitol Heights.
  6. An hour of unexplained traffic near Potomac Mills. Who knew the road to Quantico has nothing else along it? I just wanted a break from traffic and a Slurpee...the Marine at the gate didn't laugh.
  7. Banana Slurpee at 7-11. Ok, so that has nothing to do with when I left.
  8. Vanilla ice cream sundae with marshmallow creme topping at Friendly's. See #7.
  9. The most interesting people stop at rest stops at 2, 3, 4, and 5am. I'm pretty sure I saw a man who'd wet himself run into the restroom at 5am.
  10. Your mother can't call you every hour to ask how it's going.

Rachel and I head out from the DC area early tomorrow morning. Next stop: Pennsylvania. We're going through the western part of the state, on our way to Ohio.

2 comments:

  1. I love the top 10...and the pics! havent thought of any other good souvenirs but I like the state welcome sign idea. Make sure to take pictures of all the weird things you see! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing well! Don't forget to check out roadsideamerica.com has some fun
    stuff on it. I will be going to Rachel's on Thursday. Love you both!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete